The Power of Positivity
“I am strong. I am healthy. I am beautiful. I am a fighter.”
These are the words I wake up saying and go to bed at night with.
I was not saying those words a few days ago when I got a call from my doctor diagnosing me with Graves Disease, an autoimmune disorder that affects the thyroid, resulting in the overproduction of thyroid hormones.
Instead, a dark flood of questions consumed my mind.
“How can this happen? I eat organic and good quality foods, work out regularly and take care of myself.”
I began to think negatively thinking that my approach of leading a holistic lifestyle was not working, and that defeated me.
All I could think about was how much of a setback this felt like after recently coming back from the Arnold Classic inspired to start this blog and really pursue my fitness path that was in front of me.
I started to let this disorder takeover and define who I am. I was no longer strong, healthy, beautiful or a fighter. I was Graves Disease.
And it’s easy to go down a dark path once you let the disease define you.
Feeling powerless about what’s happening in your body. Letting the imagination create scenarios of what COULD happen.
I was driving in my car crying when I thought about my blog and how I just wrote the day before that having the right mindset is the first step for a successful healthy fitness journey. To remove FEAR and distractions and feed your focus on the goals you wish to accomplish.
I laughed in that moment with tears streaming down my face in realization that I was letting my fear dominate my mind. I knew instantly I had to change my perspective, and it started with three deep breaths.
A man is but the product of his thoughts- what he thinks, he becomes. – Mahatma Gandhi
I knew I didn’t want to feel powerless and scared.
I wanted to stay positive and focus on finding a solution, reframing how I view negative experiences and knowing that in the end everything will work out.
I began my research, and after talking to a few holistic doctors along with my regular practitioners, they all advised me to go on methimazole immediately to bring my levels down. My current levels were at 587 and the norm is 150.
I’ve decided to work with a holistic doctor simultaneously with taking the meds to figure out what is going on in my body that is causing my thyroid to do this. Why is the immune system attacking the thyroid? Hopes will be that I can figure out why my body is reacting a certain way and eventually wean off of medication once I get my immune system regulated.
Just as importantly, I know that I need to stay POSITIVE.
More Positivity = Less Stress
Less Stress = Stronger Immune System.
More Positivity= Stronger Mental Ability
Stronger Mental Ability= More Able to Overcome Setbacks
The benefits and chain of reactions that stem from positive thought are endless.
So I ask you, how can you work on being more of an optimist and creating more positivity in your life?
Don’t Worry, Be Happy– Positivity Tips
- Your tribe– Surround yourself with happy, positive people. They will want to help you and give you uplifting advice. Negativity is contagious, and you don’t want the stress of negative people brought into your life.
- Be Grateful- Always take a second to appreciate what you have in your life and what other positive people have done for you to increase your happiness. When you wake up to start your day, think of 5 people or things in your life you are grateful for.
- Positive Self Talk- Try to monitor yourself throughout the day to see what your mind is thinking. Try to reframe your thoughts if you find it being negative. For example “I can’t handle this in my life” to “I can accomplish anything.” and “I don’t know where to begin” to “I can make time now and find a solution.”
- Yoga and mediation- Yoga and mediation are a great way to leave your thoughts behind and to focus on the present moment. You can learn to release negative emotions that may be holding you back. A great way to de-stress and get some good positive energy flowing in your body.
- Think before you speak- The old saying “If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say it at all” rings so true. Choose your words carefully and be conscious of how you respond to certain situations. When gossip or negative words are shared about another person/experience, it is mirror image of you. You’d be surprised how much better you feel when you eliminate the negativity of your words.
- Set the tone of the Day- Start your morning off on the right foot. Take time in the shower to tell yourself something positive, or while having your morning coffee write down your goals for the day that you would like to accomplish. Get into a morning ritual that you enjoy that leaves you feeling energized, happy and ready to conquer the world. I like to begin my day with some great music, warm water with half of a lemon and some positive thoughts.
Feel free to share with me what works for you in staying positive on a daily basis. I look forward to hearing your feedback!
I am strong. I am healthy. I am beautiful. I am a fighter!